- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - KIM SMITH DOES BA ILLUSTRATION :: SECOND YEAR- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - ASSIGNMENTS - - - KNITTING - - -FILM - - - SELF DIRECTED- - - STUDIO - - - INFLUENCE - - - YACK YACK - - - MORE- - - ABOUT - - -

Wednesday 6 October 2010

Tom Gauld.

This is just a stupid little post to say that even though I had the most stressful morning- I made it to the visiting practitioners talk today, and managed to stay awake through the whole thing, even if I was sitting on the floor. No, seriously it was very interesting.
I always find it inspiring to talk to/listen to people who are out there 'living the dream'. Working and making and living. He seemed to have a great attitude and was down to earth. I enjoy his sophisticated sense of humour even if his work does kind of seem '10-year-old-boy-who-likes-to-draw-robots' (his words, not mine!). It's charming and simple and I should probably add in here that he doesn't seem afraid of using text within his work- which is obviously important when you draw comics... but the text is considered and fits perfectly. Plus, how can I not love someone who self publishes!?! Gave me a nice warm feeling to think about where I'll be in 5 years, 10 years...
Good talk. Looking forward to more like it (hopefully, I can be early and snag a chair!)

No comments:

Post a Comment